Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission - Formal Complaint Process

Authored By: Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission


Filing Formal Complaints

The formal complaint process is different from the PUC informal complaint, where a BCS investigator works to facilitate discussion between the parties in order to resolve the complaint, because it involves a legal proceeding before a Commission administrative law judge. This means that you and the utility must present facts on issues raised in your complaint to a PUC administrative law judge. However, this should not discourage you from filing a complaint.

Individuals or companies may file formal complaints. Individuals do not need a lawyer to file a formal complaint. However, companies must be represented by an attorney. Complaints are assigned to PUC administrative law judges, who hold hearings to gather evidence and then render decisions. The five PUC commissioners may then rule on the decisions at a public meeting.

You can download and save the formal complaint form on your computer by selecting one of the links below. The form is set up in Word or PDF, so you can type on the screen to fill out the form and then print it out.

Register a Formal Complaint to a Proposed Rate Increase

If you would like to file a formal complaint against a utility company's proposed rate increase, you may fill out a Formal Complaint to a Proposed Rate Increase Form. Filing this form will make you a party to a legal proceeding or case. If you do not wish to be a party to the case, consider filing a Comment to Proposed Rate Increase.

Register a Comment to Proposed Rate Increase

If you wish to register your objection or comment to a proposed rate increase by your utility company, you may fill out an Comment to Proposed Rate Increase Form. Your comments to a proposed rate increase will be placed in the official document folder of the case for review by the presiding officer, the parties to the case and the Commission staff. In addition, a public input hearing may be scheduled in your area to give consumers an opportunity to tell the Commission in person what you think of the proposed rate increase.

Last Review and Update: Sep 19, 2003