National Consumer Protections Week Events Planned - March 5-11
National Consumer Protection Week (NCPW) 2023 is March 5-11 and there are a number of events scheduled for consumers to attend.
NCPW is a time when the FTC partners with organizations and individuals across the country to bring you information and advice on scams, identity theft, and other consumer protection issues.
Here’s a preview of some events you can join — and share with your network — during NCPW, March 5-11, 2023.
- Follow the FTC on social media for quick, shareable consumer tips all week long.
- Facebook: Federal Trade Commission
- Twitter: @FTC, @LaFTC
Saturday, March 4, and Sunday, March 5
- 9:30am – 4pm MST (In-person event - Phoenix, AZ): Visit the FTC table at the 65th Annual Heard Museum Guild Indian Fair & Market at 2301 North Central Avenue in Phoenix, AZ. FTC staff will be giving out free resources on avoiding scams and identity theft.
Monday, March 6
- 10:30am EST (In-person event - Macon, GA) : Join the FTC, the Georgia Department of Law’s Consumer Protection Division and AARP Georgia for a panel discussion on identity theft and scams at the Elaine H. Lucas Senior Center at 132 Willie Smokie Glover Drive in Macon, GA.
- 10:30am MST: Join the FTC and the Colorado Attorney General’s Office of Financial Empowerment for a virtual workshop about consumer financial protection tools from federal, state, and local government.
- 2pm EST: Join the FTC for a special NCPW webinar about top frauds reported in 2022 with a special focus on how they affect older adults, and how you can protect people from scams.
Tuesday, March 7
- 2pm EST: Join the FTC, AARP Fraud Watch, and the Association of Bookmobile and Outreach Services for a virtual town hall discussion with librarians about the top scams affecting older patrons – and how to help them avoid them.
- 1pm PST (In-person event - Bothell, WA) : Join the FTC and USPIS for a presentation on tax, mail, and impersonator scams and how to avoid them, at the Northshore Senior Center at 10201 East Riverside Drive in Bothell, WA.
- 2pm PST (In-person event - Reno, NV): Join the FTC, Nevada Consumer Affairs, Nevada AG and BBB for a Town Hall event at the Reno + Sparks Chamber of Commerce at 4065 South Virginia Street #101 in Reno, NV.
- 2pm – 4pm PST (In-person event - Redding, CA) : Join the FTC for a Fraud Prevention Round Table at Mercy Oaks at 100 Mercy Oaks Drive in Redding, CA. FTC staff will discuss ways to avoid common scams.
Wednesday, March 8
- 10am – 2pm HAST (In-person event - Honolulu, Hawaii) : Visit the FTC table at the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs NCPW Fair at the King Kalakaua Building Courtyard at 335 Merchant Street, in Honolulu, Hawaii. FTC staff will be giving out free resources on avoiding scams and identity theft.
- 10am – 1pm PST (In-person event - Redding, CA) : Visit the FTC table at the Shasta County District Attorney’s Office Fraud Prevention Fair at Mercy Oaks at 100 Mercy Oaks Drive in Redding, CA. FTC staff will be giving out free resources on avoiding scams and identity theft.
- 10am CST: Join the FTC and Texas Senior Medicare Patrol for a webinar about fraud against older adults.
- 1pm EST: Join the NCPW Twitter chat (in Spanish) for advice on avoiding common scams with @laFTC. Follow the conversation by using the hashtag #NCPW2023.
- 1pm EST: Call in to join the FTC and AARP Ohio for a Tele-Town Hall about how to avoid scams.
- 3pm EST: Join the NCPW Twitter chat (in English) for advice on avoiding common scams with @FTC. Follow the conversation by using the hashtag #NCPW2023.
- 3pm CST: Join the FTC and the City of Chicago Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Education for a webinar on top frauds and how to avoid them.
- 5pm EST: Call in to the Cleveland WEWS News Channel 5 NCPW Consumer Phone Bank and speak with FTC staff and consumer advocates for advice on consumer issues. Tune in during the evening telecast to get the call-in number.
Thursday, March 9
- All Day: Watch and share Instagram Reels (in English and Spanish) from the FTC and SSA how to avoid impersonator scams.
- 1pm EST: Join the FTC for a special NCPW webinar about top frauds reported in 2022 with a special focus on how they affect older adults, and how you can protect people from scams.
Saturday, March 11
- 10am-11am EST (In-person event - Cleveland, OH) : Visit with FTC and other volunteer attorneys for a Legal Advice Clinic at the Cleveland Public Library, Jefferson Branch at 850 Jefferson Avenue in Cleveland, OH. Attorneys will be available to listen to listen to consumer-related and other civil issues (non-criminal) and will then offer brief advice or referrals to useful resources. Attendees will be seen on a first-come, first-serve basis.
For a current list of events added since February 23, 2023, and to get involved, visit ftc.gov/NCPW.