How do I Change or Correct my Name on My Social Security number Card?


If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you must tell Social Security so you can get a corrected card. You cannot apply for a card online. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.

To get a corrected Social Security card, you will need to:

For complete instructions, please go to New or Replacement Social Security Number Card

For more information, read our pamphlet, Your Social Security Number and Card.

Original FAQ from Social Security

Last Review and Update: Dec 01, 2021
Back to top