Coronavirus and Public Benefits: How Pennsylvanians Can Get Help (Video)

This video provides information on eligibility requirements and how to apply for public benefits including SNAP (Food Stamps); Medicaid (Medical Assistance); TANF (Cash Assistance); and LIHEAP (Heating/Cooling/Energy Bill Assistance. More information below the video.


If you need to apply for benefits, please apply online using Compass ( or, if you are in Philadelphia, call Benephilly: 844-848-4376. The County Assistance Offices are closed to the public, but they’re processing applications.

If you already receive these benefits, but you’ve lost income, you may be eligible for an increase in SNAP or TANF. The County Assistance Offices are closed to the public. Don’t go to the County Assistance Office! You should submit information about a change in income in one of the following ways:

  • Online through Compass at
  • Through the free mobile app MyCompassPA for iPhone and Android. Information how to get it is at
  • By calling the Customer Service Center at 215-560-7226
  • If you don’t have paperwork from your job (such as pay stubs or a letter about your hours), you should explain your loss of income in your own words. You can do that in the comments section of Compass.

If you live in Philadelphia and your benefits are cut off or if you get a notice it will close, or if your application is denied, please call Community Legal Services at 215-227-2400 and leave a message. We will call you back.

Outside Philadelphia, locate your local legal aid office that can help at

If you have questions about Medical Assistance or other health insurance, please call the Pennsylvania Health Access Network hotline: 877-570-3642.


Last Review and Update: Feb 24, 2023
Back to top