Clean Slate Review
Authored By: Community Legal Services of Philadelphia
Do You Have a Criminal Record that Might Be Sealed Under Pennsylvania’s New Clean Slate Law?
Clean Slate permits many criminal cases in PA to be sealed – taken out of public view, so they cannot be used by employers, landlords and others.
Between June 2019 and June 2020, sealing will be done automatically for some cases. For others, a petition must be filed with the court. Or you can file a petition before automated sealing starts (or if your case is one that can be entirely expunged instead of sealed).
Cases that can be sealed include:
- Cases in which you were not convicted;
- Summary offense convictions (like shoplifting or disorderly conduct) after 10 years;
- Many misdemeanors after 10 years without further conviction.
But there are exceptions to these rules! And you must have paid any fines and costs! Complicated, right?
Volunteer lawyers are available to screen your Pennsylvania record for free and tell you whether and how you can clear it.
They will tell you:
- What is on your record in Pennsylvania;
- Whether it can be expunged or sealed;
- Where you might get help clearing your record.
Click below to:
This review request form, as well as additional information on Clean Slate, is also available at www.MyCleanSlatePA.com.
For more information or to submit your information by telephone please call 800-932-0311, Ext. 2572.
This screening service is a project of Community Legal Services, Inc. and the Pennsylvania Bar Association.