The Pennsylvania Department of Human Service has announced that October 28 will be the last day for households to submit applications for assistance through the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP).
As a response to the Coronavirus pandemic, the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 established the LIHWAP program to assist low-income households by reducing residential water bill burden. LIHWAP was established to provide funds directly to public water systems or treatment works to reduce arrearages and rates charged to such households.
The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 provided additional funding for this emergency program, but no additional funding to extend the program has been received. Consequently, the program will be closed on October 28, 2022, to ensure adequate funding is available for all applications received on or before that date that are approved for LIHWAP benefits.
All eligible individuals and families are encouraged to apply for this assistance prior to its closing on October 28, 2022.
How to Apply
- Online: www.compass.state.pa.us
- Paper: You can download a paper application, print it, fill it out, and return it to your local county assistance office.
- Phone: Request an application by calling the Statewide Customer Service Center at 877-395-8930 or call PA Relay at 711 for the hearing impaired.
- In-Person: Applications are available at your local county assistance office.
You will need:
- Names of people in your household;
- Dates of birth for all household members;
- Social Security numbers for all household members;
- Proof of income for all household members; and
- A recent water bill.
After your application is processed, you will receive a written notice that will tell you if you qualify. If eligible, it will tell you the amount of your grant.
Additional Information on the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)