Visa Processing

Legal Information

Other Immigrant Problems

Asian woman with office workers.

This section of has information and resources about Visa Processing issues in Pennsylvania.

Click on a resource category listed below to see information related to that category. - Pennsylvania Organizations is a searchable online directory of over 1,000 free or low-cost nonprofit immigration legal services providers in all 50 states. Only nonprofits that are BIA recognized or have attorneys on staff are included in the directory. Users can search by state, zip code, or detention facility. Users can also refine their search by types and areas of legal assistance provided, populations served, languages spoken, other areas of legal assistance, and non-legal services provided. was developed by the Immigration Advocates Network and Pro Bono Net with support from the Four Freedoms Fund.

Federal Court Finder

Find a federal court location by location or court name, including appellate, district, bankruptcy, probation and pretrial office, or federal defender organization. Each District Court has its own local forms which are generally available on the Court website.

File My Application Online (E-Filing)

This is a location where you can file certain application documents online with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Submitting your application online provides you with several benefits. Get helpful instructions and tips from USCIS as you complete your form using the secure online filing system, avoid common mistakes, and pay your fees online.

Forms Updates

This page lists updates to forms as they publish them, along with a brief explanation of the nature of the update.

Paying USCIS Filing Fees

Information on how you pay the filing fees (including biometrics and other fees) that are required to file many forms with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This will depend on whether you are inside or outside of the United States.

Passports and Visas

Information on legal issues concerning passports and visas from the Erie County Bar Association. (February 2019)

Battered Spouse, Children & Parents - Immigrant Visa Petitions

As a battered spouse, child or parent, you may file an immigrant visa petition under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), as amended by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). This page provides informaton on that process.

Students and Exchange Visitors

Information from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services on what to do if you wish to pursue full-time academic or vocational studies in the United States or wish to participate in an educational of cultural exchange program.

Temporary (Nonimmigrant) Workers

In order for you to come to the United States lawfully as a nonimmigrant to work temporarily in the United States your prospective employer must generally file a nonimmigrant petition on your behalf with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This provides information from USCIS on how a nonimmigrant can qualify to work temporarily in the United States.

Temporary Visitors for Business

Information U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services on how you can obtain a Temporary Visitors for Business Visa, unless you qualify for admission without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program.

Victims of Criminal Activity: U Nonimmigrant Status

The U nonimmigrant status (U visa) is set aside for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity. This provides information from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services on U nonimmigrant status.

Victims of Human Trafficking & Other Crimes

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) helps protect victims of human trafficking and other crimes by providing immigration relief. Human trafficking, also known as trafficking in persons, is a form of modern-day slavery in which traffickers lure individuals with false promises of employment and a better life. This provides information on the kind of help available from USCIS. For more information please call the National Human Trafficking Hotline at 888-373-7888.

Green Card Eligibility Categories

In order to apply for a Green Card, you must be eligible under one of the categories listed on this page. Once you find the category that may fit your situation, click on the link provided to get information on eligibility requirements, how to apply, and whether your family members can also apply with you.

Green Card for Asylees

U.S. immigration law allows asylees to apply for lawful permanent resident (LPR) status after they have been physically present in the U.S. for at least one year since being granted asylum. This page provides specific information for asylees in the United States who want to become LPRs (get a Green Card). This is called “adjustment of status.”

Green Card for Employment-Based Immigrants

You may be eligible to become a permanent resident based on an offer of permanent employment in the United States. This provides information and directions from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services about the steps to apply for lawful permanent residence or "green card" through a job or offer of employment.

I-912, Request for Fee Waiver (Immigration Forms and Services)

This form from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services may be used to request a fee waiver (or submit a written request) for certain immigration forms and services based on a demonstrated inability to pay.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services YouTube Channel

This is the official channel of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services on YouTube. It contains an extensive collection of videos on Citizenship and Naturalization; E-Verify; Avoiding Immigration Fraud; and Human Trafficking Awareness.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Fact Sheets

Listing of Fact Sheets available from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement on Enforcement and Removal, Homeland Security Investigations and Management and Administration.

U.S. Visa

A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship. This provides information on the visa process from the U. S. Department of State.


Immi is by nonprofit legal experts to help immigrants understand their rights and options. Your answers are safe and private.

immi Learning Center

The immi learning center is your resource for learning about U.S. immigration and how to stay in the U.S. legally. Browse the glossary for basic terms and concepts. Or read more detail about common ways to stay in the U.S.

immi - Search for Legal Help

Immi helps immigrants in the U.S. understand their legal options. Our online screening tool, legal information, and referrals to nonprofit legal services organizations are always free to use. Immi works with legal aid organizations across the U.S. to connect immigrants to legal help. Enter your address or zip code to see a list of organizations in your area.

Beware of Dishonest Immigration Consultants [PDF]

Brochure from the National Consumer Law Center discussing how to look out for dishonest immigration consultants. [PDF]

How to defend your own case/Como defender su propio caso

These self-help materials are designed for detainees to use in representing themselves when applying for some common forms of legal relief from removal. Please note they are written for detainees in Arizona and most were last updated in 2013, with support from the American College of Trial Lawyers Emil Gumpert Award. These publications are meant to provide useful basic information about immigration law and detention in removal in Arizona and were created in the course of the Florence Project’s work. Under no circumstances do they constitute legal advice.

Information about U Visa

Information from Pennsylvania Immigration Resource Center about U Visa, a visa designed for crime victims who have helped or are willing to help authorities investigating crimes.

Back to top