Name Change

Legal Information > Information from Government Agencies

Family of Four - Parents and Two Children

This section of has information and resources about Name Change issues in Pennsylvania..

  • Erie County: Name Change Procedure

    This is a self-help guide from the Erie County Court of Common Pleas on the procedure to change your name. [PDF] Content Detail

    Erie County Court of Common Pleas
  • How do I change or correct my name on my Social Security Card?

    Social Security answers your questions about changing your name on your Social Security card. Content Detail

    Social Security Administration
  • Lehigh County: Name Change - Self Help Center of the Lehigh County Court of Common Pleas

    The Lehigh County Court of Common Pleas provides this informational section for reference and research purposes. This section explains the basic forms and steps needed to legally change your name and/or the name(s) of your minor child(ren). A person must petition the court for a name change, and the court can then decide whether or not to grant it. Content Detail

    Lehigh County Court of Common Pleas
  • PA Courts Public Access Policy - Filing Requirements in the Courts (Video)

    Effective on January 6, 2018, a new Public Access Policy is in effect in Pennsylvania Courts. This policy imposes requirements on anyone filing court documents in the trial and appellate courts to safeguard information in the documents they file. The Pennsylvania Courts have released this series of videos that explain the judiciary’s new policy for protecting confidential information and the required steps you must take to protect that information when filing documents in the courts. Content Detail

    Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts
  • Petition to Proceed In Forma Pauperis

    Costs to record, or “file” documents such as the complaint, vary from the type of document, or pleading, to the county in which you begin your case. Some court filing costs may be in the hundreds of dollars. If you cannot afford to pay these fees to the court, you will need to complete this form, In Forma Pauperis, a Latin term, referring to someone who cannot pay. Read More

    Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts